Home     About Me     Tutorials      Recipes      Linky Parties

Monday, January 7, 2013

Treasure Hunt

*These photos are from my cell phone - my camera battery needs charging. boo.

Today, Levi and I went on a new adventure.
I told him we were going to go on a treasure hunt.
He was so excited; talking about the map, 'x marks the spot,' the treasure chest and all the stuff we were going to find in it!
We were going geocaching.


I downloaded the geocaching.com app, but when we went to the destination of the first cache, it proved far too difficult for my three year old - we needed something that would be quick and easy to find.
Since the free app only gives you three locations near you, and always very small caches, I hopped on the www.geocaching.com website and found a LARGE cache for us to hunt down.

Thank goodness for smartphones! 


I also had to download this GPS app where I could plug in the coordinates that are provided on the website and lead us in the right direction.

The gate to the park was closed, so we had to park the car and go for a walk.


We did some hiking - not to self: DON'T wear toms next time... ugh.
We quickly found our prize!


It was so much fun looking through the bucket and seeing all the treasures.


With geocaching, you sign a log with your username and the date... 


You leave a small trinket and then you get to take a trinket with you.


This specific cache was near a playground, so after we re-hid the cache, we played for a little while and then trekked back to the car. 
On the way, we came across some hoof prints in the gravel.


Levi wanted to stomp all over them.
Boys.


We're definitely going to do this more often... 
it's fun, exercise, fresh air, and best of all - FREE.

Do you geocache?
Do you use this website too?
Feel free to share your username or some cool finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad that you stopped by! I would love to hear from you, so go ahead and leave a me a comment! But do me a favor - let's try to keep things nice. Thanks!